Hi everyone! My name is Mikaela Cannizzo and I’m a recent graduate of the University of Texas at Austin. I am excited to be starting my first full-time job as an account coordinator at Ketner Group!
I was born in Los Angeles, but my childhood was split between Southern California and a suburb outside of Dallas. I moved to Austin for college and decided to stick around. Although the variety of amazing restaurants and the beautiful hill country may have had something to do with that choice, my job opportunity with Ketner Group was the deciding factor.
Writing captured my heart at a young age. Whether it was writing papers for class or spending my free time coming up with an idea for a creative story, I loved the way writing allowed me to transform my thoughts into something comprehensive that could possibly resonate with others. During my high school years, I utilized my writing capabilities as the managing editor of the yearbook and a participant in an independent study and mentorship program, which gave me the opportunity to write articles for the Dallas Morning News.
My high school experiences led me to choose journalism as my major in college. I loved getting to learn more about the profession and pursue print journalism passionately as a member of the Daily Texan staff my sophomore and junior years and as an intern at the Dallas Business Journal last summer. Throughout those years, I also took on a job as a writing consultant, helping students in the communications school improve their writing. I decided to switch career paths slightly my senior year when my interest in public relations was sparked by the assignments and projects of the PR students I worked with.
Following through with this new direction, I spent the spring interning with Cohn & Wolfe, a public relations and global communications agency in downtown Austin. I enjoyed learning more about agency life and working with different clients on creating engaging content for their brands. Knowing that writing and storytelling are the core components of the PR profession, I couldn’t be more excited to continue in the field with Ketner Group!
When I’m not working or writing, I enjoy spending time at the lake, visiting restaurants and coffee shops and just exploring new places in Austin. While I’m thrilled to call Austin home, I also love to travel and am always down to plan a trip, even if it’s a spontaneous one!
We’re hiring! If you or someone you know has two-to-three years of PR experience and is looking for a job, we want to hear from you!
Of course, we think we’re pretty cool, but in case you need some convincing, here’s a little about us.
Ketner Group PR + Marketing is an Austin, Texas-based public relations and marketing communications firm specializing in technology and B2B public relations for nearly 25 years. Ketner Group is experienced in a variety of industries, including retail technology, mobile technology, high tech business, hospitality technology, supply chain and logistics, and profitability and payments.
Our public relations team consists of passionate storytellers and we deliver diverse expertise in creating targeted public relations campaigns and marketing communications programs that can include multi-faceted public relations campaigns, relationship-based media and analyst outreach, company/product messaging and collateral, social media outreach, email and direct marketing and more.
We’re looking for a motivated and dynamic team member who is passionate about PR, writing and media relations. The role of Account Executive (AE) is highly engaged in client relationships and will report to our Account Managers. An AE on our team should be a team player, but also be highly dependable to adhere to timelines on an individual basis. Ketner Group looks to its AEs to help execute on our PR campaign strategies and tactics.
- Assist Account Managers with staying on task for key accounts
- Execute media relations activities, including developing media lists, press release distribution and pitching and editorial calendar research and management
- Maintain Ketner Group’s stellar reputation in the retail technology trade media space
- Cultivate new media relationships in other verticals and top tier, national press
- Write content pieces, including press releases, articles, case studies, e-books, etc.
- Participate in client calls and meetings
- Serve as a key contact in client communications
- Help to brainstorm fresh, new campaign ideas
- Execute on social media tactics
- Strong writing skills, be prepared to submit writing samples
- Confidence in handling media relations, including pitching trade and national media contacts
- Effective communications skills, including the ability to clearly articulate the status of PR program/campaign activities to clients in person, over the phone or via email
- Excellent research skills in finding appropriate media contacts, collecting supporting data/information for copywriting, identifying client award and event opportunities and conducting client competitor research
- Ability to be self-accountable, self-motivated and proactive in staying on task with daily activities
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing
- 2-3 years of PR experience in an agency, brand or corporation
- Retail technology or brand PR experience a plus, but not required
- B2B experience highly valued, but not required
- Experience with executing on social media tactics
- Experience with Vocus, Hootsuite and Harvest a plus
Please send a resume, writing samples, salary requirements and interview availability to [email protected]. To learn more about us, visit www.ketnergroup.com.